undergrad school

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

vbarbato
Sub-I
Sub-I

Post by vbarbato »

I was told once by a professor from my school that shakespeare reads the same in harvard as it does in a community college. If you don't understand it in harvard you will not understand it at a community college. Just because a school is "good" like the ivies does not mean that they give you work that is more challenging. I go to one of those lowly "state schools" you were referring to and by school is rankedy top 50 in the United States. So state schools can be good you just have to know which ones are the good ones. Not to mention the fact that college is what you make of yet. People talk about graduating form ivies and stuff, but all they are doing is allowing themselves to encounter enormous debt because when you get into the work place and graduate level nobody cares where you did your undergraduate program. So in my opinion it is a real waste of money. Take this advice from somebody who withdrew their application to Cornell.

wagdog1
Gunner
Gunner

Post by wagdog1 »

Yeah I doubt that tests are any easier at an upper-tier state school than they are at an Ivy... you probably have more contact with an excellent professor at an Ivy school, and therefore I'd surmise that some do better and learn more, but scoring the same score on an exam at an Ivy probably does not make you more knowledgeable than someone who scores that at a State School in the top 50 (Penn State, when I entered, was 44th) I got into F & M as well which was ranked 30th at the time, but I couldn't justify the extra debt.

Arboth
Sub-I
Sub-I

ranks

Post by Arboth »

these ranks are from us news, there are plenty of rankings that conflict with those. also, the us news rankins are ridiculously stupid as they had harvard a few years back ranked 13th and then the following year ranked 1st. schools change very little over a course of a few years, using commerical "rankings" as a way to measure ur school isnt smart. if u want real rankings pertinent to being a pre-med look at those published by, say, ACS (American Chemical Society) and take a look at the top chemistry/biochemistry schools in the nation. You'll have schools like MIT ranked in the top 15 and also have some schools like Purdue and Delaware (both ranked 11th i believe), yet schools like Brown and Darthmouth are no where to be found! A top notch chemistry program pretty much equates to a VERY rigorous pre-med pathway at the school. At my school, in a given organic chem class there might be one or two As out of 60+ students. All in all, the MCAT is the great equalizer. I know kids that got even Cs in these orgo classes and managed 37s on the MCAT. If ur school is that much better, then someone with a 3.2-3.3 should have a mid 30 while the same gpa at a 2nd tier school is in the mid to upper 20s. Good luck.